Sunday, September 7, 2008

Inspiring Impressionism at the SAM

Hunter and I went to the Seattle Art Museum (SAM) on Friday. We went with a homeschool group here in the ward. We saw the exhibit entitled Inspiring Impressionism about the influences on some of the Impressionist artists. It was really interesting. Hunter loved it too because he went on a little scavenger hunt and tried to find all the painting on his sheet.

Here are some of my favorite paintings from the exhibit. This one is by Renoir entitled Child with a Hoop. I love it because it reminds me of my nephew Christian. Renoir captured his expression perfectly.

I love this one for obvious reasons. It's also by Renoir entitled Woman Nursing a Child.

This one is by Mary Cassatt entitled The Family.

The exhibit also included works by old masters that were influences on the impressionists. My favorite tidbit of info I learned was that Monet claimed he wasn't influenced by any old masters. He got a license to copy in the Louvre, but instead of copying the masters, he turned his easel to the window and painted outdoors. I thought that was funny. Anyway, Hunter and I had a good time and we decided that on the Fridays he doesn't go to school we are going to go on our own fieldtrips from now on.


P.S. This was Hunter's favorite work of art from the regular collection. I must admit it was rather impressive--all made of metal dog tags.

2 comments:

Sonya said...

I love art museums! More kids should go :). I went to the institute of art in NY this Summer and loved the Monet exhibits. I wish we had one close to us!

Frozen Cacti said...

I'm impressed that Hunter had the patience for an art museum. I love going to them but sadly the boys just want to run through the halls and be loud.